segunda-feira, 23 de abril de 2018

Collocatios. Take and Have - Group 300

have, take
We often use common verbs like have and take with nouns like a showera drink:
took a shower. = I showered.
She had a drink. = She drank something.
I took a cold shower.
She had a nicerefreshing drink.
The verbs used most frequently in this way are:
have     take     make     give
have
We use have with:
Food and drink: a meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack, a cup of tea
Talking: a chat, a conversation, a discussion, a talk
Washing: a bath, a shower, a wash, a scrub
Resting: a break, a holiday, a rest
Disagreeing: an argument, a dispute, a fight, a quarrel
had a good breakfast before I left home.
We had a long talk about the problem.
The kids should have a bath before they go to bed.
She generally had a short holiday in July or August.
They had a serious quarrel about their father’s will.
We also use have with nouns formed from verbs:
I think you should have a look at this.
She had a bite of the cake.
I’m thirsty. I’m going to have a drink of water.
had a listen to that new CD in the car.
They are going to have a swim.
take
We use take with:
Washing: a bath, a shower, a wash
Resting: a break, a holiday, a rest
I always take a cold shower in the morning.
You look tired. You need to take a break.
and with these words:
care
a turn
trouble
a chance
a decision
care of
turns
the trouble
a risk
a photograph
We took hundreds of photographs on holiday.

 Teacher Valderez English Activities


take a bath/shower  example:  I like to take showers in the mornings and baths in the evening.
take a bit example: I took a bite of the sandwich when I noticed it has tomatoes which I’m allergic to.
take a break example: I have been studying for five hours, I need to take a break.
take a bus example: John takes the bus to get to school.
 take a look example: Take a look at this dress, I want to wear it to prom.
 take a minute (ten minutes) example: It will take ten minutes for me to get there.
 take a nap example:  I didn’t sleep very well last night, I need to take a nap.
 take a photo example: Can you take a photo of us?
 take a phone call :example: Greg, I will take this phone call in my office.
 take a seat  example: Maggie take a seat and I’ll be right with you.
 take a walk example: The weather is great, we should take a walk.
 take action example: The city needs to take action and fight against crime.
 take advantage example: I take advantage of the fact that my friend works in a clothes boutique.
 take care example: Take care of yourself or you’ll get sick again.
 take charge: example: The deputy took charge in the case of the robbery.
 take notes example: Mary always takes notes during classes.
 take one’s breath away example: When I saw her, she took my breath away.
 take responsibility example: You need to take responsibility for your actions.
 Exercises
 1. I’m tired. I’m going to ___________________________. 2. Ow, my head hurts! I ___________________________. I need to take an aspirin. 3. You should drive safely or you might ___________________________. 4. Thomas isn’t hungry because he already ___________________________ an hour ago. 5. You should see this strange spider I found! Come here and ___________________________. 6. I didn’t ___________________________ yesterday. I had a shower instead. 7. It was Sue’s birthday so we decided to surprise her. We ___________________________. 8. I love to ___________________________ each morning. It helps to wake me up. 9. If you ___________________________, you can ask me for help. 10. We ___________________________ on our holiday … a terrible time, really. It rained for a week. 11. I can’t see you at 3 o’clock. I ___________________________ with my boss at that time.




2 comentários: